Here are my notes on the Listening Session with Bishop Harvey regarding (1) the Commission on a Way Forward and (2) the three plans and especially (3) the One Church Plan.
The Commission on a Way Forward and the One Church Plan
As you are aware The United Methodist Church has for decades been involved in discussion and debate regarding sexuality (and by extension regarding marriage). It operates according to policies and procedures described in the Book of Discipline. Regarding same-sex relationships the Book of Discipline currently states:
G: We affirm that all persons are individuals of sacred worth, created in the image of God. All persons need the ministry of the Church in their struggles for human fulfillment, as well as the spiritual and emotional care of a fellowship that enables reconciling relationships with God, with others, and with self. The United Methodist Church does not condone the practice of homosexuality and considers this practice incompatible with Christian teaching… (§161. II. The Nurturing Community)
Which basically means people who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transsexual, or queer (LGBTQ) are welcome to participate in the life of the church. However United Methodist pastors cannot conduct same-sex weddings. And persons who identify as LGBTQ cannot be ordained as elders or deacons. Some believe the statement/policy should continue and be enforced. Some believe it should be changed.
Every four years, the governing body of the UMC known as the General Conference gathers to evaluate our Book of Discipline and make changes if needed. At previous General Conference gatherings this subject has dominated discussion. Many feel the subject has hindered the effectiveness of the governing body. So at the last General Conference gathering in 2016 it was decided a special session would be held in February 2019 in an attempt to resolve the matter for the United Methodist Church.
The Council of Bishops commissioned a task force called “The Commission on a Way Forward”. It has spent two years trying to formulate a way forward that could adequately address the issue. Earlier this year this commission presented three possible plans to the Council of Bishops. My understanding is all three plans will be discussed and voted upon at the special session in 2019. I was present when Bishop Cynthia Fierro Harvey announced the Council of Bishops has endorsed what is called the One Church Plan.
A rough summary of the One Church Plan is that it allows:
- each individual Annual Conference (led by their Boards of Ordained Ministry and Clergy Executive Sessions) will determine whether persons involved in same-sex relationships may be certified, licensed, or ordained for service and leadership
- congregations will be able to decide their marriage policies and
- pastors will be able to determine whom they will marry.
Sermon = Who We Trust Him
Text = Mark 4:35-41
Sunday = 5th Sunday after Pentecost (B)
- volcanoes in Hawaii and Guatemala
- *** violence in schools
- death + destruction because of natural disasters
- earthquakes volcanoes floods
- and because human beings choose to do violence against others
- we might not face volcanoes or mass shootings
- more often we face other kinds of storms
- Jesus says Let us go to the other side
- They leave the crowd
- Take Jesus with them in the boat just as he was
- A great storm comes up
- Waves beat against the boat
- Filling with water
- Jesus is in the back asleep on a cushion
- Bible reading from Mark 4 addresses issue of chaos
- *** how God in Christ responds to chaos in the world
- how we respond to it
- who Jesus is
- and how we respond to Jesus
- chaos is…
View original post 672 more words
Sermon = Finish the story. Because
Text = Mark 16a
Sunday = Feast of the Resurrection (B)
- while Sam + Frodo exhausted with no food or water struggle to climb the slope of Mount Doom
- *** Aragorn + Gandalf + small army make their final stand before the black gate of Mordor and the armies of Sauron
- will they succeed? or will Sauron enslave + destroy everyone in Middle Earth?
- how does the story end?
- ***When the Sabbath is over Mary Magdalene + Mary mother of James + Salome buy spices so that can go + anoint the body of Jesus
- Scripture for today from Mark 16
- begins with reality of death
- other Scriptures describe clearly
- beginning with Genesis 3
- death is not + was not plan and purpose of God for creation including human beings
- because God intended life for us
- these same women saw…
View original post 582 more words